US 281 Public Meetings – March 29 and 30
SAMCo Members and Partners:
Supporters of toll express lanes will have an opportunity to provide supportive comments at two public meetings on the US 281 project to be hosted by TxDOT the evenings of March 29 and March 30. Times and locations are provided in the meeting notice that follows.
As toll opposition groups are targeting this event for a large negative turnout, I want to encourage our members and partners to help deliver a more positive and accurate message on the benefits (in other words – the benefits of taking money from our wallets to line theirs!) of the US 281 toll project. Please consider taking the following specific actions:
1) Forward this email to members of your boards, committees, government relations councils, and other potentially interested individuals and groups.
2) Encourage anyone in support to attend either of the two meetings. Numbers and turnout will be a major factor in this!
3) Encourage them to provide brief supportive comments – either orally or in writing.
4) Even just a brief sentence or two will do. What is important is that they hear from what we believe is a large – and up to this point – silent majority on this.
5) Attached for your reference are two recent documents on US 281 (TxDOT) and on the overall need for toll express lanes (AlamoRMA).
6) Key points you may want to mention in your comments, keeping in mind this is an environmental public meeting:
a. The project is in response to growth that is already occurring. Most land along this corridor has already been platted for development. Several major employers (i.e. Mutual Savings, PGA Resort, etc.) have already announced plans for expansion in the general area of this project.
b. Economic and population growth is occurring at a rapid and sustained pace in northern Bexar County.
c. Traffic along this corridor is increasing about 15 percent annually.
d. Air quality will be enhanced as more cars will be freed from congestion – rather than idling at long traffic lights.
7) Please call or email me at the numbers that follow if you plan to provide testimony! During the next few days, I will be working with several task forces to refine our comments. I will be glad to share this information with any of you.
8) The official TxDOT information follows. Thanks in advance to all of you for your assistance with this!
NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETINGS
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) will conduct two (2) Open Houses/Public Meetings relating to the preparation of an Environmental Assessment (EA) for the portion of the proposed U.S. Highway (US) 281 project which runs from approximately Loop 1604 to Borgfeld Road in San Antonio, Texas. The proposed project covers approximately 7.5 miles.
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 at 6:30 PM
Ronald Reagan High School Auditorium
19000 Ronald Reagan
San Antonio, Texas 78258
Thursday, March 30, 2006 at 6:30 PM
Barbara Bush Middle School Auditorium
1500 Evans Road
San Antonio, Texas 78258
The meetings will begin with an Open House from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., followed by a formal presentation and comment period beginning at 7 p.m. Information presented will be the same for both Public Meetings.
The purpose of these Open Houses/Public Meetings is to discuss ongoing environmental studies currently being conducted along US 281 from approximately Loop 1604 to Borgfeld Road. The environmental studies would identify and explain potential changes to the natural, social and economic environment that could occur as a result of construction of the US 281 project.
All interested citizens are invited to attend these Open Houses/Public Meetings and provide verbal or written comments on this project. Citizens will also be afforded an opportunity to view project exhibits and ask questions at the Open Houses and Public Meetings. Written comments not provided at one of the Public Meetings should be submitted to the following address: HNTB Corporation, Attn: Lena Camarillo, 85 NE Loop 410, Suite 304, San Antonio, Texas 78216. Fax: (210) 349-2101 or e-mail: US281@hntb.com. All comments must be postmarked or received by Monday, April 10, 2006, to be included in the public record.
Persons interested in attending these Public Meetings who have special communication or accommodation needs should contact Lena Camarillo at (210) 349-2277, at least two (2) working days prior to the first meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made. Because the Public Meetings will be conducted in English, any request for language interpreters or other special communication needs should also be made at least two (2) working days prior to the first meeting. Every reasonable effort to accommodate these needs will be made.
Victor M. Boyer
San Antonio Mobility Coalition, Inc.
602 E Commerce Street
San Antonio, TX 78205-2620
(210) 229-2125; Fax (210) 229-1600